I wanted to create a fall smoothie that captured the tastes of the season– savory, warm, and reminiscent of the famed PSL. I could have taken the traditional road and added canned pumpkin to the smoothie, but I wanted to go a bit of a different route while still invoking those must-have fall flavors. I decided to try out a pumpkin pie spiced smoothie with sweet potatoes, I mean, there’s sweet potato pie so why not? It turned out being REALLY good, especially when paired with bananas, dates and of course pumpkin pie spice, which I make myself (recipe here). We can’t forget the pumpkin pie spice!
- 1 Sweet Potato (small, about 1/2 - 2/3 cup)
- 1 Banana
- ~5-6 Dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1/4 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Optional: 1/2 scoop Vega Vanilla Protein Smoothie Powder
- Prior to making the smoothie you will need to bake, steam, or microwave the sweet potato and let cool completely-- put in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. I also find it's best to let the chopped and pitted dates soak in water (about 1/4 cup or so) for about 15-20 minutes to soften so they blend really well.
- Add all ingredients to blender, along with ice. Blend, pour into a glass and top with another sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!
- TRY THIS: Substitute the sweet potato/yam with pumpkin or butternut squash for more yummy fall flavors!